As compared to some other countries in the world, India has been slow to catch up when it comes to online education. Though there are many avenues for students to earn online graduate, post graduate, diploma and certificate degrees, the avenues for online medical education remains limited.
Benefits Of Online Education
Online courses allow students to earn their degrees while sitting in the confines of their home. This means that almost anyone with an Internet connection can apply for a course and complete it within flexible timelines. Owing to the fact that most online courses are not dependent on infrastructure, they also tend to be less expensive that full time courses.
Online Medical Courses
Online medical courses in India are limited to diploma, post graduate diploma, certificate, and advanced certificate and fellowship programs. Many students choose to apply to foreign institutes that offer online medical courses.
Online courses are available for allopathic doctors, non-allopathic doctors, nurses, paramedics and almost all other graduate level students.
While there is a whole plethora of online medical courses that students can opt for, there are a few courses that enjoy more popularity and recognition than others. These are the most popular medical courses that students can opt for online.
- PG Diploma in Hospital Administration
- Diploma in Family Medicine
- Diploma in Emergency Medicine
- PG Diploma in Dietetics and Clinical Nutrition
- PG Diploma in Respiratory Therapy
- PG Diploma in Healthcare Operations Management
- PG Diploma in Clinical Research
Allopathic doctors can apply for fellowships in Intensive Care Medicine, Dialysis and more. A PG Diploma in Sports Rehabilitation is also gaining popularity by leaps and bounds.
Online Medical Institutes
Not many institutes are currently offering online medical courses in India. Medvarsity was started in the year 2000 and has the honour of being the very first India medical e-learning venture. This online portal has been established by premiere Asia-Pacific healthcare specialists, Apollo Hospitals Group. Medvarsity is connected to a variety of partners all over the globe. This ensures that students earn diplomas, post graduate diplomas, certificates and fellowships that are recognized all over the world.
They have associations and affiliations with a variety of colleges and medical institutes within India as well as all over the globe. Their courses are affiliated to:
- Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP), United Kingdom – Medvarsity has been associated with RGCP for over 10 years now and they offer courses like Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine & Health Care online.
- University of Sydney – In alliance with the university and the Apollo Hospitals Educational and Research Foundation (AHERF), Medvarsity offers an International Postgraduate Paediatric Certificate.
- Apollo Hospitals Educational & Research Foundation (AHERF)
- Maharashtra State Government
- NIIT Imperia
- Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI)
Other Colleges Offering Online Courses
Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute is a deemed medical college which offers online medical courses like Diploma in Family Health.
Alternative medicine online courses are offered by the Indian Board of Alternative Medicine (IBAM) which is an internationally recognized and government approved medical school.
Distance learning and online courses have made medical study all the more easy and popular.